Last updated: September 20, 2017
At the Longmont Observer we collect different types of information about our users for four main reasons:
- To provide personalized services unique to individual users.
- To help us to monitor and improve the services we offer.
- To help target sponsors and underwriters that might want to support us by donating to us for space on the site. This helps us to keep the site free.
- If we have permission from the user to market services to them.
There may be other privacy policies that apply to certain services we provide. Please read these when you register or subscribe for these services on these sites.
- Our principles
- About our sponsorship and underwriting
- We do our very best to protect your privacy by using security technology appropriately. This means:
- we make sure that we have appropriate security measures to protect your information; and
- we make sure that when we ask another organization to provide a service for us, they have appropriate security measures.
- We will respect your privacy. You should receive marketing emails only from us and, if you agree, from other organizations we have carefully chosen. We will make sure it is clear when you can make these choices, for example, we have boxes you need to tick if you want to receive marketing. However, we may email you occasionally with information or questions about your registration, your membership account or postings, for example, with reminders, warnings or copyright requests.
- We will collect and use individual user details only if we have your permission or we have sensible business reasons for doing so, such as collecting enough information to manage memberships.
- We will be clear in our dealings with you as to what information about you we will collect and how we will use it.
- We will use personal information only for the purposes for which it was originally collected and we’ll make sure we delete it securely.
- Our site is accessible via the internet. This means that people around the world who access our website can see anything you post on the website, for example, comments about an article.
What information do we collect?
We collect information on you:
- When you register or become a member of the Longmont Observer
- When you use the website
- through cookies
- if you choose to reveal information in postings, and
- when you enter promotions and competitions.
Certain services that we provide may involve us collecting extra information (Membership, for example), such as where you are, so the service can be provided as designed. This may also apply to certain apps that you may download, or which we may provide.
The minimum information we need to register you is your name, email address, and a password. We will ask you more questions for different services, including promotions. Unless we say otherwise, you have to answer all the registration questions.
We may also ask some other, voluntary questions during registration for certain services (for example, professional networks) so we can gain a clearer understanding of who you are. This also allows us to personalize services for you.
To assist us in our marketing, in addition to the data that you provide to us if you register, we may also obtain data from trusted third parties to help us understand what you might be interested in. This ‘profiling’ information is produced from a variety of sources, including publicly available data (such as the electoral roll) or from sources such as surveys and polls where you have given your permission for your data to be shared.
After you have registered, and with your permission, we may send you emails we think may interest you. Newsletters may be personalized based on what you have been reading on the Longmont Observer. At any time you can decide not to receive these emails and will be able to ‘unsubscribe’.
Logging in using social networking credentials
If you log-in to our sites using a Facebook log-in, you are granting permission to Facebook to share your user details with us. This will include your name, email address, date of birth and location which will then be used to form a Longmont Observer identity. You may also use your picture from Facebook as part of your profile. This will also allow us and Facebook to share your networks, user ID and any other information you choose to share according to your Facebook account settings. If you remove the Longmont Observer from your Facebook settings, we will no longer have access to this information.
Use of children’s data
We do not knowingly collect or store any personal information about children under the age of 13.
Who we share data with
Depending on where you live, your personal information may be shared with the Longmont Observer group of companies. We will not share your personal information with others for marketing purposes unless you have given us your permission. If we have your permission, we will share your information only with other organizations we have chosen carefully.
We can access and release personal information to keep to relevant laws and government requests, to operate our systems properly and to protect both us and our users.
Any other organizations who access your information in the course of providing services on our behalf will be governed by strict contractual restrictions to make sure that they protect your information and keep to data-protection and privacy laws which apply. We may also independently audit these service providers to make sure that they meet our standards. We may use service providers to help us run these sites (or services available on the sites), some of whom may be based outside the USA.
Some of our web pages use plug-ins from other organizations. These other organizations may use information about your visit to our websites on their pages. If you browse these pages while still also logged into your account with us, the information they collect may be connected to your account on their site. For more information on how these organizations use information, please read their privacy policies.
- For statistical purposes to track how many users we have and how often they visit our websites. We collect information listing which of our pages are most frequently visited, and by which types of users and from which cities, geographic regions and countries.
- We use other organizations to collect anonymous user information, sometimes through cookies and web beacons, (information embedded in images which allow them to analyze how the website is being used and the number of visitors).
- We may use ‘Flash’ cookies to store your preferences for your media player (for example, volume and so on). If we don’t use them, you may not be able to watch some video content.
- You can turn cookies off but if you do this, you may not be able to use all services on our websites.
We use Google Analytics on our sites for anonymous reporting of site usage and for sponsorships on the site. Longmont Observer also uses the Google Analytics Advertising feature which anonymously reports data on demographics (age and gender) and interests our users have. If you would like to opt-out of Google Analytics monitoring your behavior on our sites please use this link (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/)
About our sponsorship and underwriting
The Longmont Observer is funded by memberships and by sponsorships and underwriting from individuals, foundations and companies. As part of that, we may put in place capabilities that allows us to deliver targeted sponsorship information to people who visit our website. It works by showing you sponsorship and underwriters information that may be based on your browsing patterns and the way you have interacted with our site. Our goal is to show you sponsorship and underwriter information which we believe may interest you.
As you browse our sites, some of the cookies we use will be sponsorship/underwriter focused cookies, so we can understand what sort of pages you are interested in. We can then display information on your browser that is based on these perceived interests. For instance, if you have been reading a lot of food and drink articles, you may be shown more information for food and drink.
It is important to remember that none of the techniques we use will collect information such as your name, email address, postal address or phone number.
We may also share anonymized behavioral data with sponsorship/underwriting partners, including commercial organizations that fund content labeled ‘Supported by’. This may mean that when you are on other websites, you may be shown advertising based on your behavior on the longmontobserver.org. We may also show you advertising on our site based on your behavior on other sites.
Behavioral retargeting allows us and some of our sponsorship/underwriting partners to show you information based on your browsing patterns and interactions with a site away from our sites.
Our sites may contain links to other websites from which we may earn revenue. Our articles are never influenced by advertisers or affiliates, nor are they written for the purpose of promoting a product, except when clearly branded as a ‘sponsored by’, ‘brought to you by’ or ‘supported by’ ‘Supported by’, to represent sponsored content, underwriters features and our non-profit corporation funded features respectively.
How to contact us
Postal: Longmont Observer, PO Box 2535, Longmont CO. 80502