“Comment is free, but facts are sacred”
“To give the news impartially, without fear or favor, regardless of party, sect, or interests involved.”
“To invite intelligent discussion from all shades of opinion.”
The Story Behind the Longmont Observer
Launched in the first half of 2017, Longmont Observer was the first digital nonprofit news organization to serve the community of Longmont, CO. Its founders, entrepreneurs and local residents Sergio R. Angeles & Scott Converse, felt their city desperately needed more reporting, analysis, and journalistic competition.
The Longmont Observer is a community supported non-profit news and media organization in Longmont, CO that brings local journalists and volunteers together. We are a 501(c)(3) public charity.
What sets us apart?
- We are supported by our members, sponsors, and underwriters who care about local journalism.
- As a nonprofit our only vested interest is to supply you with quality local news, information, and analysis.
- There will be no paywall so anyone can read the Longmont Observer.
- We are transparent about the way we operate and we will publish our financials regularly.
- We’re bringing genuine community control to our local news.
To learn more about Longmont Observer’s values, click here.
Our Mission: to consistently provide the best non-partisan, community driven, locally-focused news in Longmont, Colorado.
Our Beliefs: Local news should bind a community together. It should inform and enlighten. It should be accurate and honest and it should give us insight into our government, our schools, our businesses, our neighborhoods and our town. It should embody where we live and it should be the heartbeat of our community.
As a 501(c)(3) organization, we are entirely funded by individual members, sponsorships, and grants. We rely on these contributions to continue our mission.
The donors, sponsors, and thousands of individuals who support the Longmont Observer financially do not influence day-to-day coverage, stories or investigations.
To see Longmont Observer’s 501(c)(3) document from the IRS, click on the images below: